The India GHG Program aims to promote profitable, sustainable and competitive businesses environment in India by mainstreaming measurement and management of greenhouse gas emissions..
The India GHG Program is an industry led voluntary framework focusing on building institutional capabilities for measuring and managing greenhouse gas emissions (based on the GHG Protocol), initiating an exchange platform for sharing best practices, creating a pool of trained and certified GHG professionals and encouraging business to have a high level focus on managing carbon risks and opportunities. The program was formally launched on 22nd July, 2013 with 25 committed founding member companies along with the presence of Mr. Jamshyd Godrej, Dr. R K Pachauri, Dr. Ajay Mathur and other eminent stakeholders. The program works to convene major businesses under a single umbrella and collaboratively address various hurdles, challenges and opportunities in the area of GHG measurement and management.
The program focuses to establish a robust and effective institutional set-up providing access to -
- Internationally standard and locally relevant GHG measurement and accounting tools - the program will provide companies with tools and technical assistance to build inventories, based on the GHG Protocol, to reduce emissions and drive more efficient, resilient, and prosperous businesses and organizations.
- Specific training and capacity building initiatives -. The program will create a pool of certified GHG practitioners, by customizing and developing training and development modules etc. in order to adopt a globally consistent approach and to businesses to make informed decisions.
- Relevant Industry specific best practices, benchmarking data and analytics - The program will provide stewardship to collaborations, conversations and competition on a single platform along with your industry/sectorial and regional peers
- Expertise on appropriate Goal setting and Voluntary Targets – The program will assist establish both annual and long-term reduction goals, and identify reduction opportunities and track their progress for efficient and effective emissions management.
- Business solutions to facilitate GHG emission reductions (on the lines of Green Power Market - Development Group, Offset Platforms / Market Mechanisms etc.)