Please first consult the PDF documents for advice on the use of the corresponding spreadsheets. General guidance on developing an inventory can be found in the Corporate Standard.
The Aluminum tool, jointly developed by the International Aluminum Institute and the GHG Protocol, allows the CO2 and PFC emissions from primary aluminum production to be calculated. It offers methods for the following emission types:
- CO2 from Prebake and Søderberg electrolytic processes
- CO2 from electrolytic processes based on the consumption of carbon containing materials
- An alternative method for CO2 from electrolytic processes, suitable for when no data are available on the consumption of carbon containing materials
- CO2 from coke calcination
- CO2 fromsoda ash and lime consumption
- PFC from electrolytic cells suitable for when anode effect data are available
- An alternative method for PFC from electrolytic cells, suitable for when anode effect data are unavailable
Aluminum plants have other greenhouse gas sources, such as the fuels used in energy production. All sources that are typically associated with an aluminum plant are listed below.