The calculations tools are electronic Excel spreadsheets with accompanying step-by-step guidance documents. A guidance document includes:
- An overview of the protocol with information on the sector, sources, and process(es) that it covers;
- One or more approaches for determining CO2 and other GHG emissions, e.g., direct measurement, mass balance, etc.;
- Guidance on collecting activity data and selecting appropriate emission factors;
- Likely emissions sources and the scopes they fall under (specific to a particular sector);
- Additional information, such as quality control practices and program specific information.
The spreadsheets help carry out any necessary emissions calculations.
These tools were developed in partnership with industry experts and represent best practice quantification methodologies. The calculation tools are available on the GHG Protocol website and are meant to complement the Protocol and make calculations easier, but their use is not mandatory.